The Best Way To Store Your Natchitoches Pecans
Posted by wernuts2 on 31st Mar 2017
Know The Shelf Life Of Your Pecans
Depending on how you store your pecans, you can shorten or extend their shelf life:
- Stored in the pantry: 2-4 weeks
- Stored in the refrigerator: 9 months
- Stored in the freezer: 2 years
Pecans that have been frozen can also be stored in the pantry for 2-4 weeks once thawed. This is a good thing to consider if you’d like to buy pecans in bulk for better pricing or to make sure you always have them on hand in your pantry.
Pecan Storage Tips
Here are some basic tips on storing your pecans so you can extend their life and maintain their delicious flavor:
- When you buy pecans, make sure they stay in their original container until you are ready to eat them. If you want to test them out before using them in a recipe, simply store them in a ventilated container after opening or freeze or refrigerate the remainder.
- If your pecans are still in the shell, it is best to keep them in the refrigerator until you use them.
- If your pecans are shelled, keep them in a cool, dark, dry place. Moisture, heat, and light can lead your pecans to become rancid.
- You can also freeze them by sealing them in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container until you are ready to use them.
- Unlike other foods, you can freeze and refreeze pecans several times without affecting the flavor or texture.
- Never store your pecans near an odorous food like onions or garlic. Pecans will soak up their flavor.
How you store your pecans can have a big impact on their quality and freshness. Following these simple tips and understanding the shelf life of pecans can not only ensure your pecans retain their incredible flavor and texture, but will help you determine when and how you buy pecans. To learn more about using pecans, make sure to check out our blog for other tips and techniques. We also feature dozens of great recipes to help you find incredible ways to use all your pecans before they expire.