Since they have a long shelf life, people often assume that pecans are non-perishables. However, if stored incorrectly, because of their high fat content, your pecans can lose their flavor, aroma, and some cases, even become bitter or rancid. They can also lose their signature crunchy and become soft and chewy. Here is everything you need to know about storing your delicious Natchitoches pecans so that their incredible flavor stays intact.
Know The Shelf Life Of Your PecansDepending on how you store your pecans, you can shorten or extend their shelf life:
- Stored in the pantry: 2-4 weeks
- Stored in the refrigerator: 9 months
- Stored in the freezer: 2 years
Pecan Storage TipsHere are some basic tips on storing your pecans so you can extend their life and maintain their delicious flavor:
- When you buy pecans, make sure they stay in their original container until you are ready to eat them. If you want to test them out before using them in a recipe, simply store them in a ventilated container after opening or freeze or refrigerate the remainder.
- If your pecans are still in the shell, it is best to keep them in the refrigerator until you use them.
- If your pecans are shelled, keep them in a cool, dark, dry place. Moisture, heat, and light can lead your pecans to become rancid.
- You can also freeze them by sealing them in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container until you are ready to use them.
- Unlike other foods, you can freeze and refreeze pecans several times without affecting the flavor or texture.
- Never store your pecans near an odorous food like onions or garlic. Pecans will soak up their flavor.