Pecan pie is considered a staple at holiday meals in the South. This irresistible amazing tasty pie is even found in lyrics of the song "Chicken Fried" by the famous Southern band - The Zac Brown Band -There are numerous pecan pie recipes all across the web. Simply browse and choose one to your liking. Below are tips to follow that will enable you to create an awesome pecan pie -
Beneath the shade of a Georgia pine And that's home you know Sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine Where the peaches grow
- Mind your eggs. Extra large eggs tend to be too much for pecan pie, and medium just isn't enough. Opt for large eggs.
- Coat your measuring cup with oil, or spritz with non-stick cooking spray before measuring your corn syrup.
- Cut calories by substituting a reduced calorie corn syrup, such as Karo's Lite corn syrup instead of the regular kind.
- Toast the pecans for enhanced flavor and only use fresh pecans.
- Don't use a blender or a mixer. Use a whisk and a wooden spoon. Hand mix only - and don't beat it to death! Many pecan pies end up runny due to over-beating.
- Shield edges of pie with foil about halfway through cooking time to prevent over-browning.
- Let the pie cool completely before slicing, as this will allow the filling to set completely.
- Pie is done when a knife inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. The filling may seem a bit jiggly as a whole, but it will continue cooking a bit even after removed from the oven - so you don't want to overcook it.